GIFTS OF REAL ESTATE - PART 1
Land Trust Alliance - August 25th, 2020
PDF file ONLINE VIEWER.
PDF file DOWNLOAD.
- All charitable giving surpasses $400 billion for the first time
- Nonprofit world employs 10% of America’s workforce
- Real Estate comprises over 40% of wealth in America But…Real Estate comprises less than 2.0% of Charitable Giving
Evidence that real estate is too difficult for most non-profits to accept as gifts
- • too risky
- • too complicated
- • too little expertise to manage the complete gift cycle (“mission drift”)
- • too often requires cash to close on and hold the gift until liquidation
- • too many bad experiences
As a result, few non-profits have proactive programs or a staff trained to seek high quality real estate gifts…the largest asset category in America.
Here are some useful links to articles on philanthropy and the topic of real estate donations.